Saturday, October 16, 2010

#18 Some comments on Chroma Key by Walt Barrett

    I have just received a question about Chroma Key. The question was basically should a beginner try to use Chroma Key ( Green or Blue screen) back screens to allow photo or video back grounds sets to be used in a video.  The practice allows you to save a fortune in film sets.
The short answer is yes, I taught myself in my spare time, and so can you.
    This is the answer I sent my friend from Facebook.


 I like green screening.  I am about to buy a new portable setup that includes lighting.  All it takes is a little practice. I have one setup already. There are lots of excellent tutorials on you tube.  If I were you I would do it.  you need a smooth evenly lit green screen with no wrinkles on it.  Good lighting is the key to good green screening.  I intend to build a studio and do an entire wall so we can do commercials and rock groups, hip hop , etc.  We will have the green paint mixed to the right color and make a smoother seem less wall that we can paint. Don't forget, you need the software too.  I have it in my Pinnacle software. You can make money with a studio as long as you build it yourself and do not go overboard with the costs. 


   If you want to produce a neat little series this is a great way to go.  I suggest that you put together a tight little film group in your area and pool all the knowledge and talents in order to put together some well written and planned productions.  Do as much as you can on chroma key.  You can photograph the interiors of buildings and rooms that you want to use and the just drop them into your background using the Chroma Key software


I will be making more comments on this subject in the future.


 This video below is done using Chroma Key. 
 This simple commercial has sold thousands of these flasher units.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Walt , I just bought my green screen for my shoot this weekend that's exciting. I'm looking at Mic's since my show revolves around one location I want to get mics to place around the set , which is the ticket counter . What type of mics would be good for what I'm doing at a good price .
    Chaz

    ReplyDelete